Today, opportunities and threats are rooted in complex systems. The next generation of innovators will excel by untangling this messiness to drive ambitious disruptive change.
BIG UNMET CHALLENGES
As innovators, it’s time for a step change in the scale of problems we choose to tackle and the complexity of solutions that we aspire to create.
Practical Clarity specializes in hands-on applications of systems thinking and complex innovation methodologies to solve hard problems and take advantage of big opportunities.
With a million mobile apps, a generation of fail fast product designers has already claimed yesterday's low hanging opportunities. Today, visionary leaders are choosing to advance their creative ambitions, embracing bold prospects that are rooted in system methodologies, thinking, and tools.
- Architecting Messy Systems Solutions
- Scaling Complex Innovations
- Disrupting Industries in the 4th Industrial Revolution
Shaping systems with diverse actors, tangled relationships, and unavoidable ambiguities is at the heart of the new innovator's toolkit. Mastering it will empower creative pioneers to thrive in a changing world. More on the system opportunity revolution ...
“Complexity is a source of opportunity ... soon it will be the only sustainable source of opportunity.”
— DAN McCLURE, PRINCIPAL CHOREOGRAPHEr Practical Clarity
PRACTICAL CLARITY'S SERVICES
Unlike many executive workshops built around rigid formalities and tight structures, the workshop that Dan facilitated produced actual tangible value in an enjoyable, productive, and open approach. We thought at a high level, brought in new perspectives, challenged our underlying assumptions, and created new models that better describe our work, "
A'sem Natsheh, Executive Director | Innovation Matchmaking Jordan
Practical Clarity works with diverse commercial, public sector, civil society and aid sector clients to apply systems methodologies to complex challenges and opportunities.
System Based Strategies
Turn a wealth of diverse ideas into a structured system vision. Builds a strong strategic narrative that drives a compelling actionable strategy.
- System Strategy Workshops– Dynamic workshops engage diverse teams in big picture thinking about the systems that exist today and that could exist under a original new systems strategy.
- Visualization and Narratives– It’s not enough to define a complex systems strategy. Collaborating on a new future requires clear visual models and compelling narratives to convey the story of change.
- Evolving Complex Strategies – Taking action on ambitious change requires a plan for “thin slicing” a system’s complexity and pivoting to evolve the interlocking parts over time.
Create an new ecosystem of actors who can collaborate to do what’s beyond the reach of a single company or product.
- Mapping Today’s Ecosystems– The starting point for building a new ecosystem is visualizing the complex systems that exist and function in the world today.
- Architecting New Collaborations– Working with diverse stakeholders, a new collaborative ecosystem can be architected that delivers end to end continuity, aligns incentives across multiple actors, and removes barriers to action.
- Constructing Working Ecosystems– Building a new ecosystem requires system "choreographers" to create original elements, shift long term behaviors, and drive through unexpected challenges.
Build Adaptive Organizations
Build a core capacity to pursue complex systems innovation in an adaptive organization.
- Re-imagined Innovation Labs – A remade vision for “innovation labs”, built to deliver disruptive enterprise opportunities and high impact system change.
- Fostering Choreographers – The antidote to Frozen Middle Managers. Choreographers fill the big picture role that is missing in most innovation programs.
- Designing an Adaptive Enterprise - Innovation should not be pushed into a corner or left in an ivory tower. Build an agile enterprise that enables learning based change throughout the organization.
HOLLYWOOD TEAM MODEL
I loved the passion that Dan brought to the meeting and the ability he had to elicit big ideas and real action from us. Dan didn't seem like just a facilitator, but rather it was as if he was personally invested in getting the best outcomes for the humanitarian innovation sector. The sessions were compelling and engaging and the whole executive came together and produced work that felt like it really mattered.
Global Program Director for the Response Innovation Labs
Complex original systems are created by complex original teams. Hollywood realized this 50 years ago when it replaced the studio system of on-contract writers, directors, editors, cinematographers, and actors with creative teams customized to each new film.
Practical Clarity leverages this kind of “Hollywood” team model, blending trusted partners, unexpected outsiders and members from across the client organization. While there are often shared experiences and relationships among the team members, but this professional familiarity is not predicated on the requirement that everyone works within a single organization.
Practical Clarity specializes in filling the need for "Innovation Choreographers", the big picture thinkers and synthesists who see across a complex challenge. These uncommon professionals are key to driving system based strategies and navigating the messy evolution of complex solutions.